Air Flow

From: Cindy Jenkins (cwrdepo@fgi.net)
Date: Mon May 03 1999 - 22:55:05 EDT

Subject: DML: Air Flow/Air Filter/Engine Requirement

Just curious if anyone knows the conversion or method(or what ever you want

to call it) to determine what is the optimal/best amount of air required
and
what is the best air filter size for my engine( for best performance gains,

airflow, etc).

Kyle,
I found this in the K&N catalog. Cubic inches multiplied by peak horsepower
RPM divided by 20839 will get you the minimum square inch filter area
needed. So if you have a 318 ci and hp peak is 4800 you would need a
filter
with 73.25 square inches. A 10" x 2.5" round filter has 78.5 square inches.
K & N also says to install the largest
filter in the space allotted. I got this info out of the K&N catalog hope
it helps.

Phil