Re: Air Flow(PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!)

From: GrnDak4x4@aol.com
Date: Tue May 04 1999 - 00:34:18 EDT

<< I found this in the K&N catalog. Cubic inches multiplied by peak
horsepower
 RPM divided by 20839 will get you the minimum square inch filter area
 needed. So if you have a 318 ci and hp peak is 4800 you would need a
 filter with 73.25 square inches. A 10" x 2.5" round filter has 78.5 square
inches.
 K & N also says to install the largest filter in the space allotted. I got
this info out of the K&N catalog hope it helps. >>

WOAH! Please set me straight on some number, as it is finals week and my
brain is overloaded. Ok then, based on my 239 c.i. V6, peak HP is at about
4500 RPM. With the conversion my minimun filter requirements are about 51.61
square inches. My stock setup with cold air induction is 69.936 inches, more
than enough. Turbo City's Dual Air Filter Intake(hot air intake) comes out to
about 155.58 square inches!!!
A 10"x2.5" FIPK/FABM setup comes to 77.79 square inches. Now, for a 10" round
cleaner, similar to what is used on the FIPK/FABM setups, I would need a
2.39" cleaner(so I would just get a 2.5"), and a 2.57" cleaner for the stock
setup(which I have a 2.75" filter), and for the Turbo City setup a 4" cleaner
would suffice.
So, since the Turbo City's Dual Air Intake comes with TWO K&N 5"x 6" filters,
other than using hot air, would this not be the best setup?? The tube used in
the dual filter housing is 2 5/8 OD and 2 1/4 ID. I could just leave my stock
cold air tube in place and just fab up a mount to hold it in close proximity
of the passenger's side K&N, right? However, if I get the Turbo City, I will
order it without the K&N filters and use some real filters, AMSOIL! :)
Wowsers, air filter and air requirements are tough!!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6