URGENT!!! TOWING PROBLEMS for R/T's Part 1 of 3

From: Ryan Krokosinski (ryan@equinoxfinancial.com)
Date: Tue May 04 1999 - 13:25:21 EDT

All R/T owners... READ THE FOLLOWING THREE POSTS. These posts
were copied from the Dakota R/T mailing list. This is all true as
I have phoned and confirmed. It would seem as though we have been
had with the old bait and switch routine. After reading this call
Daimler Chrysler at the number listed and start kickin' ass.

"N. Parr" wrote:

> The following emails are a conversation I have been having
> with an owner of a 99 R/T. Just so everyone has the number for
> the Chrysler complaint line I will give it to you right up
> front. 1-800-992-1997This does not have anything to do with
> the bumper. The following is our
> conversation.-------------------------------------------------------------------I
> was previously on the Dakota R/T Registry but had to drop off
> since I couldn't keep up with all the incoming E-Mail. I have
> some info for all R/T owners that maybe you could pass along.
>
> Dodge has down graded the tow capacity of all R/T's from over
> 6000lbs to 2000lbs. The lowered suspension apparently created a
> safety issue. They admit liability and probably will offer
> money or ?? as compensation to original owners. I found out
> about the down grade while reading the owners manual on my new
> R/T. A yellow addendum page fell out of the manual with the
> change on it. The dealer didn't know anything about it but
> Chrystler Corp did.Spread the word.
>
> I have been in contact with the Daimler-Chrysler Complaint
> Center for the last two weeks trying to get through to someone
> of authority whom would admit their responsibility. At first
> their position was that the one inch lowered suspension limited
> the tow capacity and they currently had no fix and take it or
> leave it. Finally Monday a supervisor freely admitted Chrysler
> responsibility and that they had no engineering solution and
> that they had under consideration a cash rebate offer. He was
> suppose to call yesterday to announce to me the terms, which he
> did not, but I got his extension number and will bug him after
> a few days until they officially commit. It appears as if it
> might be a big deal for them, what with probably 10,000 R/T
> owners requiring compensation of some kind. He even talked of
> truck buy backs, in which I was not interested. It is clear to
> me they have misrepresented the truck and are legally required
> to do something to satisfy the customer!
>
> My towing solution will be to invest in the air bag add-on's
> that the lowered truck people use. They add brackets to the
> frame side rails at the axle area, one on each side of the
> truck, and install inflatable air bags between those brackets
> and the differential case or spring central perch. They tell me
> it will add 3000# to the suspension's ability to carry a load,
> far exceeding the frames capability. It works similarly to air
> shocks without having to give up the R/T special extra heavy
> duty shocks. You just air up the bags to level out the truck
> when you are towing or carrying a heavy load and release the
> air when you're not. Chrysler would not allow my dealer to do
> this modification, even though my dealer suggested it, as they
> are worried about liability on something that was not "designed
> here".
> eGroups Spotlight:
  [eGroups.com] Kosovo-Reports - Direct reports from Kosovo/Serbia/Yugoslavia
                http://www.egroups.com/list/kosovo-reports