Tail shaft seal problems?

From: bgbeaird@neosoft.com
Date: Sun May 09 1999 - 18:04:26 EDT

It looks like the tailshaft seal on our '98 R/T may be leaking a bit. I
stepped out in the garage today to notice SEVERAL oily spots under the
Dak. After checking around, I noted that the entire underside of the
truck was coated with ATF from the back of the transmission to the rear
bumper. I have since wiped it all off and mopped up the garage. I wiped
off the seal, and no other drips have formed in the last few hours. The
engine, transmission and dipstick tube were all dry. I will continue to
monitor the situation.

The last time the truck was driven was last weekend, where my wife had to
use it to get to the hospital to work a stat call. She said she saw
speeds of near 110. I am figuring one of two things happened;

1. the tail shaft seal is indeed in need of replacement, and or,
2. the driveshaft is out of balance and the vibrations at that speed
caused the seal to break temporarily between the driveshaft yoke and the
seal.

Either way, I think I will take the time to remove the driveshaft and get
it balanced by a driveshaft shop. I remember reading several having
problems with vibrating driveshafts here on this digest, AND there is a
hum coming from under the truck at speeds of 80+. THAT is either the
driveshaft or the exhaust.

If the tailshaft seal is gone (the truck only has 1800 miles on it), does
anyone know the P/N? I know, I know, it would be covered under warranty,
but the very thought of having someone else (possibly even less qualified
than myself) touch our truck just sends shivers down my back. The local
parts store could not find the part today.

Thanks for any help.

Gene Beaird
98 Flame Red CC R/T