Auto vs. 5 speed

From: Randy Fox (foxra@nad.adventist.org)
Date: Wed May 12 1999 - 22:38:52 EDT

I was looking at new Dakota's about an hour ago and noticed that the 5
speed has
a towing capacity advantage of about 300 lbs. when equipped the same as
an auto.

Randy Fox

Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 14:08:37 -0400
From: Peter L Anthony <panthony@pcn.com>
Subject: Re: DML: Re: Selling My R/T

ok, so you are trying to tell me that an auto (flame suit on now)
doesn't slip? I have pulled 30 ft fifth wheel travel trailers with both
an
88' Dodge 350 Cummins auto and a 94 Dodge 3500 cummins 5spd and the
clutch
never slipped after 75,000 mi. on the other hand, The 88' only had
41,000 mi
when the Trans went up like a grenade. ( Same trailer same engine).
P.S.
the 94' still tows the same trailer to date, some 30,000 mi later on
the
stock clutch.
 Like I stated before, properly geared and ponied, a 5spd will
outperform an
auto every time.
 (flame suit off)
:)