RE: Winch bumper

From: Jason Bleazard (jbleazard@home.com)
Date: Thu May 13 1999 - 21:13:10 EDT

> >1. The receivers are only rated to 5000 lbs, so you have to use dual
> >receivers if you want to use a larger winch. Then if you want dual
> >receivers in the rear, you're probably looking at some custom work (don't
> >remember ever seeing a dual receiver hitch).
>
> True...but you can use pulleys to compensate.

That's true. Personally, I'd rather have an 8000 or 9000 lb winch and not
have to use the pulleys, and also not have any question whether it's going
to pull me out. The recommended rating is 1.5 times the GVWR. Plus, I
wanna be able to yank out any big ugly Foards that get stuck in my way :-)

> Now if you really get it stuck...let's say in the mud, you STILL have to
> get out and attach the cable (or route it around a tree). (Then again,
> there's always the tow-straps)

Yep, that's true, but you have your hands free and you don't have to carry
anything.

> Uhhhh....90-100lbs??? They sure don't feel
> that heavy.

Depends on the model, I suppose. The Warn XD9000i weighs 84 lbs all by
itself without the mount.

> Normally, you would leave it in the front and remove it if you need it for
> the back. Since you normally don't need the winch on the street anyway,
> you can remove the assembly and save some extra weight on a daily basis.
> Most of the receiver mounts elevate the winch close to bumper level. (If
> you're bumper is stuck somewhere, you've got a bigger problem an dmight
> need a "Hi-jack" to get yourself semi-unstuck before using the winch.)

It might be at bumper height, but it's out in front a lot further. My
statement that it kills the approach angle was based on looking at pictures
like the one at http://www.warn.com/html/mtingsys/multimt.htm. Looks to me
like the winch is going to drag in cases where you might have been clear
without it (think exiting a river bank or something).

I'm not saying that the receiver mounts don't have some great advantages. I
like the fact that you can remove it on the street, or use it at the rear,
and I really like that you can move it from vehicle to vehicle. IMHO, the
disadvantages outweigh this. I'd rather have a permanently mounted 9000 lb
winch. If you like the receiver mount, let us know how it works out!

Jason Bleazard jbleazard@home.com Toronto, Ontario
current: '95 Dakota Sport white 4x4 Reg. Cab V6/3.9L/5spd
current: '98 Dakota Sport black 4x4 Club Cab V8/5.2L/Auto
RIP: '95 Dakota Sport black 4x2 Club Cab V6/3.9L/Auto