I raced a new LIGHTNING and WON!! (LONG)

From: Sam Parthemer (srp@home.com)
Date: Sat May 15 1999 - 23:07:59 EDT

(sorta, read on)

Went to work today, and finished a little earilier than I expected.
I did bring my helmet with me, so I went down to Carlsbad. I
had 3/4 tank of gas, so I drove around a bit to bring it down to less than
1/2 tank (terrible huh?).

I was the 30th car, and waited from 1:15 pm until about 2:05 pm.
Weather was typical Carlsbad...some sun, fog/low clouds, with
air temp. 65 F. A small 5-10 mph breeze was blowing from the
southwest (the track runs due east).

At 2:10 pm the first cars started to run, and a guy in a Vega
Station Wagon (blown motor, slicks, etc. etc..) pulls about
100' down the track, breaks loose, and slams into the guard
rail, and completes 4-5 rolls down the track!!! Safety crews
are there in seconds. With the car upside down, parts screwn
all over, and the crowd hushed... The driver came away ok
(and standing!) Nothing apparently injured but his pride and
wallet. After about 45 minutes the crews got his car onto a trailer,
and picked up the blown motor off of the track.... We went racing.

I went up against 70 something monte carlo? and pulled a 14.717 @ 92,95 mph!

He's all 5 timeslips, and the summary of my lightning run.
(1 hour 50 minute cool down
Run #1
Reaction .907 (zzz)
60 ' 2.218 (best)
330' 6.144 (best)
1/8 mi 9.436 (best)
1/8 mph 74.30 (best)
1/4 mi 14.717 (best)
1/4 mph 92.95 (best)

(20 minute cool down in lanes)
Run #2
Reaction .903 (zzz coffee over here!)
60' 2.179 *new best*
330' 6.147
1/8 mi 9.484
1/8 mph 73.25
1/4 mi 14.895
1/4 mph 91.01

(20 minute cool down in lanes)
Run #3
Reaction .759
60' 2.303 (wheel spin)
330' 6.312
1/8 mi 9.673
1/8 mph 72.70
1/4 mi 15.108
1/4 mph 90.85

(45 minute cool down)
Run #4
Reaction .625 (best)
60' 2.226
330' 6.200
1/8 mi 9.536
1/8 mph 73.28
1/4 mi 14.884
1/4 mph 91.97

Then no cool down, right back to the
staging area about 4 runs back... for a run against
a spanking new lightning. Still on the first tank of gas.

RT RC Lighting RC
.591 reaction .482 <--- FOUL
2.240 60' 2.181
6.236 330' 5.982
9.591 1/8 mi 9.117
72.87 1/8 mph 78.66
14.96 1/4 mi 14.12
91.79 1/4 mph 98.17

WINNER! .948 1st Finish

(he had me by about 5-6 truck lengths!)

He ran about 3 runs, with a 14.7, 14.14, and a

He ran a best of 99 something I believe on one run.

Anyway, it was cool to see how well my RT could do,
with the right weather/cooling. A $850 nitrous kit would
have put me over 100 mph easily...with 13's on the
horizon... Headers will be a welcome addition (someday).

Sam '99 RT x 2