Re: Fw: Durango pinging

From: mrdancer (mrdancer@camalott.com)
Date: Sun May 16 1999 - 22:57:47 EDT

I've had best luck with 87-octane from Citgo. Truck ran bad whenever I
tried Diamond Shamrock.

To whoever posted about gas shouldn't be the problem, I tend to agree (also,
the original posting stated that the problem may be poor indexing on the
distributor, which is the best explanation I've heard to date).

If my truck were pinging (which it never has), I would first check for any
arcing or cross-fire on the wires and make sure plugs are good, then check
distributor cap & rotor condition. After that, the main things that would
cause it would be bad distributor indexing and/or too much timing (computer
problem on newer vehicles).

btw, my Dak's got 139k on it, I've always run 87 and never had pinging,
changed cap & rotor once (at 110k), changed fuel filter once (at 60k & it
was still clean), never touched the injectors - I do run a can of injector
cleaner thru the tank about every 10k miles, tho...... and I still get over
20mpg on the highway!

p.s. - sorry about the slow reply, I'm in digest mode.....

--
'92 Dak CC 2wd 318 3.55
'84 GoldWing Interstate