Re: Auto vs 5 Sp perfectly clear

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Mon May 17 1999 - 15:38:00 EDT

Hmmmm... Neat info. Ted but aren't you missing a gear for the Auto's?? I have
the 44RE in a '98 and thought it was a 4 speed auto w/overdrive.
Tom

Subject: DML: Auto vs 5 Sp perfectly clear
Author: <dakota-truck@buffnet.net> at smtpout
Date: 5/17/99 2:48 PM

Hey DML'ers,
        The ratio's for the trans's in question are:

        Manual 42/44RE Auto 46RE Auto
        ------ ------------ --------
1st 3.83:1 2.74:1 2.45:1

2nd 2.33:1 1.54:1 1.45:1

3rd 1.44:1 1.00:1 1.00:1

4th 1.00:1

OD .79:1 .69:1 .69:1

        I have an automatic and am very satisfied with it..However as far as
racing goes, considering all things equal, (same HP, rear ratios, etc.)
the Five speed has the advantage because the gear ratio's are closer.
This keeps the rpm's up in the max HP making range...Get a true B&M
hydro 4 sp. auto and things are going to shake out differently...
                My observations, Ted O.