Re: Problems with Synthetic Oil

From: Jason Yates (j_hurricane_y@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon May 17 1999 - 17:09:33 EDT

The first time I changed my oil, I put dino oil in. Next I
went with synthetic blend (couldn't quite bring myself to
pay for the full deal). This last time, I figured it'd be
better if I just bit the bullet and went with the full
synthetic. I half-expected some leaking because my 'ol '89
Dodge D50 had a head gasket leak after I changed over to
synthetic. My Dad with is '86 Ferd Diesel had to stop
using synthetic and switch back to Dino because he couldn't
afford to keep buying a quart of synthetic every 1500 mi or
so to replace what was seeping out of the gaskets. So far,
though, I haven't noticed a single drop outta the Dak . . .
knock on wood. Anyway, from my experience, synthetic oil
leaking through seals does seem to be a common problem on
older engines.

JY
'98 5.2L 4x4 CC w/17K