Spanking & Safety (long)

From: superskunk@mindspring.com
Date: Tue May 18 1999 - 23:42:31 EDT

With the spanking and safety concerns being discussed, I thought I would
just add my two cents.

I've been a cop for ten years and have owned fairly fast cars that I
personally modified myself since I got my drivers license. In my younger
days I avidly raced light to light, as well as on the occasional back road,
maybe that's why I lost my license my senior year in high school :). But
while I was a road officer, I worked way too many fatality accidents where
either speed and/or alcohol, were a factor. People have to remember their
vehicle as well as their own limitations when it comes to driving or racing.

Peoples driving habits have also changed in the last couple of years, i.e.
road rage. There are more cars on the road, and just because you have a
"fast vehicle" does not mean cutting off cars to gain an extra 20 feet of
asphalt is worth the danger you and other drivers are put in.

I'm just trying to stress the safety concern , from the perspective of
someone who has and still does on occasion have to notify someone's family
member that their loved one is no longer with us.

It is, has been, and always will be who has the fastest, loudest, tallest,
etc. vehicle. Its human nature.

But with that human nature comes common sense and responsibility. In no way
can I "officially" condone street racing, but if it's going to happen, and
it will, just remember your limitations, the safety of others, side roads,
lighting, congested areas and such. And remember, if it gets to hairy in a
prospective "spank", you can always back off, because you can be assured
there will be another day :)

With all that you might be wondering....Do I enjoy the occasional spank once
in awhile. Hell Yes!! Does it matter that I have had numerous hours of
pursuit driving and that I am a cop. No it doesn't. If I choose to get
involved in a little drag race on the street (only to uphold the honor of
all the fellow DAK owners, of course) and I get busted I should and will
take what is coming to me. Whether that is a ticket or so have you, I made
that choice and I will take the responsibility for my own actions.

So in closing, what I am saying is keep safety in mind, and if you get
busted, take it like a man or woman, which ever the case maybe, because you
made the choice. The guy behind you with the Blue lights didn't. And no
speeding ticket is worth trying to out run the cops and killing yourself or
someone else.

Sorry so long, but just wanted to interject on the issue.

Happy and safe motoring to all.

Mel

97 White, DAK, CC, Sport, 4x4 5.2, Auto