Re: Bug Shields

From: GSWillhite (GSWillhite@ualr.edu)
Date: Wed May 19 1999 - 06:16:58 EDT

> I just removed a Deflecta-Shield "Stinger" 3-piece bug shield from my
> truck. The center portion attaches behind the grill, by loosening the
> bolts, inserting the bug guard, and then re-tightening the bolts that
> hold the grill. It wasn't a bad setup, but it was such a low profile
> bug shield that it didn't do a good job at keeping all flying debris and
> bugs from hitting my windshield. It was better than nothing, but it
> seemed to be designed more for looks than performance. Good luck.
>
> Johnny Z
> 97 Dak 4x4

In '97 when I purchased a new Dakota V6, the first thing I did
was rush out and buy a bugshield. The results were more impacts
to the center of the windshield area. I know this is not for
everyone, but I decided NOT to add a bugshield to the 98 Dak
I purchased last year. So far all of my serious chips on the
window have been below the windshield wiper level!!! to heck
with the bugs, you can clean them off.

I bought a Mopar grill bra for $45. the bra works fine for the
grill but the hood piece moved around to much for the paint job,
so I cut the hood section off, leaving enough to tuck behind the
grill. The results have been great, I have the cleanest radiator
in the state. The hood takes its impacts, but I'd rather purchase
a new ram air hood in the future than a new windshield. Seems to
work so far and the bra makes the Dak look like a BADA$$.

GS -

98 5.2L 5spd