Re: DML Digest V4 #695 Question on oil analysis 360 engine

From: Kris LaFerriere (PacMac1@webtv.net)
Date: Thu May 20 1999 - 02:08:05 EDT

   IMHO I think it would be a waste of money. (results my prove
inconclusive). If I recall correcty, you plan on building up this
engine? (1) I would first make sure it turns easily atleast two full
crankshaft revolutions with spark plugs out (if possible). (2) Then in a
"clean" (clear) glass jar or suitable container obtain a oil drain
sample, and let it sit for about 15-20 mins. In good light check the
bottom for metal particles (metal flakes), also this will give you some
indication of the cleanliness of the engine (sediment in oil pan). If it
passes both tests than a "reasonable" conclusion that there is no
serious mechanical problems internally. There are other methods
but these two are by far the simplest to perform. Kris

99' Solar Yellow R/T RC ~~ Hawaii ~~