DAK mileage

From: Mike Burgess (mike.burgess@akamail.com)
Date: Thu May 20 1999 - 20:55:36 EDT

All depends on your foot, I have a 98CC 4x2, 318, auto, Mobil-1,
QuickD intake, JBA headers, 3.55 ltd slip rear axle, Jacobs Inig.
Cab-Hi shell.
   I get 13-15mpg in the city, 14-16 mixed, and
17-18 hwy@70mph Calif smog and Calif gas too.
 I just ease it on up thru the gears, and try not to stomp on it too
much.
 Friday, I'm getting a FlowMaster 3 chamber, 5" muffler. I have a
spreadsheet with my mileage, and I should see .5 mpg change over a
month or so, I hope I don't become so enamored with the sound, that I
stomp
all the mileage out of it!
 Last big trip [1,100 round trip, LA - Ukiah] I averaged 15mpg under
the following conditions: [14mpg up, 16mpg back]
400 miles with 30 mph headwinds spedo=78mph (wind drag=108mph)
40 miles 1st gear in mud
3 adults, with bed and shell LOADED with camping gear and supplies. It
drove like a pig! I guess I had 500 lbs of people (3) in it, and another
600 lbs of camping and cooking gear. The trip back was more sedate, at
about 70 mph, and no head wind. Both ways, I had to contend with
the "Grapevine", a 5,000 foot hill in the middle of I-5 between
Newhall and Bakersfield. The truck pulled it fine in 4th (not OD)
at 60mph each way. Weather was cool at the time, but
I could see the temp gauge climb about 2 needles width, I suspect
that is the difference when the thermostat just cracks open at the
stock 195F vs wide open at 200F. The trip back, southbound
grapevine is a very steep climb, and I'd filled up before it
with 89 octane. I had no pinging at any point.

Mike Los Angeles, CA

--
"Thoughtcrime was not a thing that
could be concealed forever. You might