Re: who needs a friggin' Rear Main Seal anyway?

From: JeffofSLU@aol.com
Date: Sun May 23 1999 - 11:31:03 EDT

In a message dated 5/22/99 8:43:12 PM Central Daylight Time,
miggitymike@juno.com writes:

<< Bad news gang,
 I was curious as to why I went through 2 quarts of oil in 3000 miles,
 then today when I got my oil changed, I asked the mechanic to check for
 an oil leak. He found one alright... right on the rear main seal....
 dammit... first hail, now seals.... sigh =(

Mike,
        Make sure that it's really the rear main before you do anything about
it. I thought mine was leaking too, but it turns out that the intake
manifold gasket is the real culprit. Mine is leaking at the rear of the
intake, and it's kind of hard to see. The giveaway was the oil around the
distributor that I saw when I changed my cap and rotor. That and the
hellatious pinging I get when I use the MP SBEC.

Jeff