Re: Draining / Filling Coolant (long, sorry)

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@wcom.com)
Date: Fri May 28 1999 - 12:34:41 EDT

look on the block from underneath.... on both sides, there's a drain, with a
plug (square head if I remember)... that's how you drain the block... also
turn on your heater before you start draining, so the heater core empties...

If you're going to make a regular habit out of it, measure the threads, and
get the appropriate sites pepcock to make draining easier... any decent
hardware store should have one... brass will work good.

Gary Shook

     Hi, all. My stupid local drag strip (Mission) requires that anybody
     racing have only water in their coolant system. That's fine for strip
     cars, but for us weekend warriors, we have to swap the coolant for
     water, then swap back. So, last night I take the rad cap off, drain
     the coolant from the rad. Only 6 litres of the supposed 13.5 litres
     drained out of the drain cock on the bottom drivers side of the rad.
     TIP: be careful when pulling that plug out. You'd be suprised how
     forceful that stuff comes out. How am I supposed to get the rest of it
     out? If I try to flush it, the coolant mix becomes too diluted and
     useless. I ran the truck for a few seconds, but I guess the t-stat
     closed and wasn't bringing anymore coolant into the rad (coolant flow
     is up through the block, right?). I ended up filling it with water
     until full, ran the truck until the stat opened, and filled again
     until almost full on the overflow tank dipstick. I hope this passes
     Tech. inspection. Now, after tonight, I have to swap back. I have 6
     liters of coolant mix that I don't want to throw out. I figured I
     could buy a 4 litre jug of Prestone, and have a 4 litre jug of water.
     4 + 4 + 6 = 14 litres which is just a little more than 13.5. Problem
     is how to get the block drained after draining the rad. In there right
     now is about a 75/25 water/coolant mix. I suppose I could drain the
     rad, dump in 4 litres of 100% coolant, and fill the rest with my
     coolant mix I already have. Hopefully this would get the mix to around
     50/50 to 60/40 coolant/water. What do you guys think? Canadian Tire
     has a doo-dad kit called "No Brainer Drainer" which uses your garden
     hose with and attachment on the end and the included drain tube to
     siphon out your rad, and can also be used to flush out the system.
     This way, the drain cock doens't have to be used and you have a lot
     less mess. Again, I fear that by flushing it out, my block will stil
     have over 7 liters of water in it. I guess I could just use 7 litres
     of coolant to get the 50/50 mix, but then my 6 litres of mix I have
     would be waste. I don't want a mess, or waste stuff, or spend a lot of
     money. Midas wants $70 to flush/fill. ANY ! suggestions, ideas of
     experiences would greatly help. Thanks a bunch. I appreciate it!

     Chad Niwranski
     99 R/T CC Black/agate
     Abbotsford, BC