Transgo: Follow up

From: AKM (akm@cinenet.net)
Date: Tue Jun 01 1999 - 01:29:43 EDT

For those who asked about the install, it wasn't difficult. Just time consuming. I removed the valve body and brought it in front of the TV so I can watch the video and work at the same time. I was stressed since I've no clue as to how an automatic trans work but I've done head swaps, intakes, blowers, etc.

I started the engine and let it idle for a few minutes before checking the fluid. I had to put in 9 quarts total. I bought a case of Quaker State ATF+3 ("for Chrysler vehicles") since I didn't want to put in $8/quart Redline synthetics until I know the kit is working to my satisfaction and I didn't have to tear it down again.

Upon the first test drive it felt almost exactly like stock. The shifts were a little firmer. It would not shift before redline but I knew the TV cable had to be adjusted. I just wanted to be sure the trans was going through the gears. One thing that worried me was that the shift lever felt vague and was off the marks. D was now between N-D. The gear indicator was off a bit from day one but now it's much worst. I got home and put it in PARK and the truck began to back up! I had to slam it in park a few times to get it to stop. It turned out the bracket was loose. Fixed in 3 minutes.

I attempted to adjust the TV cable but didn't know which way to move it. I moved it one way and the truck felt like a wild beast. It shifted much harder and even down shifted when I slowed. I liked it a lot but it still wouldn't shift before hitting the rev limiter.

I moved the TV cable the other direction, past the original position and it shifted softer but it'll firm up on hard acceleration. Still bumping the rev limiter.

Which way do I move the cable??? I am wondering if it had to do with the little check ball I left out.

AKM

'98 Dakota R/T (JBA, Transgo, ported T/B)
'89 Mustang GT (347, Vortech S-trim (intercooled), Griggs GR-40, etc.)