Codec Solved, play Jacks Video

From: Chad (mcc@negia.net)
Date: Sun Jun 06 1999 - 20:05:19 EDT

I finally solved the Codec problem. Download the file below and follow
the inclosed instructions. There are two versions of the instructions...
The guy who put this pack togethers, and mine. I think mine may be
better for less Computer literate people. It's not a hard install, but
it's not just click and it works either. Get the file at:

http://www.negia.net/~mcc/ativcr.zip

If you'd like, you can read below. I've enclosed some info on codecs:

    Every AVI file is created using a CODEC (compressor-decompressor)
which determines exactly HOW the video and audio data is stored within
the
AVI file. The same CODEC that is used to COMPRESS the AVI is ALSO
required to DECOMPRESS the AVI. For example, if you capture and save an
AVI file using the ATI VCR2 CODEC, that file will only play back on
another system if the ATI VCR2 CODEC is
present.

    And since the ATI VCR2 CODEC is only installed in conjunction with
an ATI capture product (such as the All-In-Wonder PRO or the ATI-TV),
your AVI file
will only play back on systems which have an ATI capture product
installed.

    Attempting to play such a file on a system which does NOT have the
required CODEC will produce errors like the ones described previously.

There are some solutions however, such as downloading the file at:

1) http://www.negia.net/~mcc/ativcr.zip

2) If you are PRODUCING AVI files:

BEFORE moving your video file to another system, RECOMPRESS the AVI
using a "standard" CODEC. Use a popular CODEC such as Cinepak, Indeo or
Microsoft Video 1 which is already available on most Windows 95 and
Windows 98
systems.

I hope this helps everyone out!! Took me awhile to find that thing! :)

Incase you've already deleted the message, the video can be downloaded
here:

http://www.dakattack.com/jack.avi

Hope it helps,

                Chad