Re: Pro-Stock Truck Races

From: Richard A Pyburn (rap777@juno.com)
Date: Mon Jun 07 1999 - 19:02:21 EDT

Mopar Performance has decided to drop the sponsorship of the car at the
end of the year. While they have turned their attention more to the World
of Outlaws and the NASCAR trucks, they haven't given up on NHRA.
According to Lee Carducci, their Performance Engineering manager, there
was supposed to be "Hemi 99" ready for the ProSocks at Englishtown. As
you know, it didn't happen. I hope this Hemi is being used to develop the
Hemi-Kota.

Mark Kinser is tearing up the WOO series with his new Mopar engine and
the broadcasters are really touting the fact that it's made with "off the
shelf" Mopar Performance parts while seriously kicking butt. Carducci
claims that he thinks that the Dakota and Durango are Mopar's future
performance vehicles (should we let him in on the secret?). He truly
wants to get Mopar where we want it to be.

Speculation is that Daimler wants to only participate in and dominate the
top series which is NASCAR. If you haven't followed the truck series, the
Dodges have done very well this year. Until a rather stupid call by
Nascar Saturday night, three of the top ten in the point standings were
Dodge trucks. There are only five full-time Dodge trucks racing. Anyway,
speculation is they want to dominate the truck series and then get into
NASCAR Winston Cup. No one's sure yet if it will be the Intrepid (great
shape for racing) or the 300M (appeals to the european market) or the
Charger(!). Probably won't get into WC until 2001.

Richard Pyburn

n Sun, 6 Jun 1999 23:20:49 -0400 The Man From Utopia <tmfu@home.com>