RE:DML Fuel Tank Test

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Thu Jun 10 1999 - 18:29:00 EDT

   Um, before you go doing that, there are some considerations. Chrysler
vehicles traditionally have 2-3 gallons left in them when the needle says
empty and the computer reads ZERO DTE. This is a failsafe to make sure you
never run out of gas because running out of gas is a good way to clog up your
fuel filter. There are heavy particles that rarely get sucked into the fuel
intake system unless you run the car tank below a gallon or two.
   It so happens that my Dakota is a wierd one, when my gauge reads empty and
my DTE is ZERO then I have a half gallon left of fuel. I had to push it once
due to circumstances and I got lucky. I always try to fill up the minute the
fuel light comes on (eighth of a tank). This keeps plenty of gas in the tank
and avoids sucking up the raunchy heavy stuff.
   It's also a good idea to flush out your fuel tank (remove and totally
clean) every four to five years. This gets rid of all the buildup in them. I
use diesel as my flushing agent cause it's not really flammable and any
residual just burns up with the full tank of gas I put in afterward. I
flushed my Shadow's tank (after 5 years) and it was disgusting the crap that
came out of it. It only got Premium unleaded too!
   BTW, don't try and cheat on the "E" in a GM product... they are notorious
for running out of fuel exactly when the gauge hits the "E".

Shaun H.