Clunk n' Rattle

From: Bob (gbpack@freewwweb.com)
Date: Wed Jun 09 1999 - 19:37:44 EDT

I've had my truck now for about 6 months and the only complaints
so far is a clunking sound shifting from 1st to 2nd and a rattle coming
from the dash. I was driving by the Dealer and had some time to kill
so I stopped to see what he thought. The Quality Assurance guy took
it for a ride with me and fortunately both the clunk and rattle happened

when he was driving it. He wasn't sure if the shifting sound was normal
so he suggested trying another truck on the lot. Unfortunately the only
manual they had was a V6 (I have a V8) but we tried it anyway. You
could faintly hear the same sound but it wasn't nearly as loud as my
truck. He says its just inherent to the truck. Does anyone else with a
manual hear anything when they shift? (you can hear it when you depress
the
clutch and then again when you shift 1st to 2nd, the harder you get on
it
the louder it gets). The rattle in the dash is a tinnish sound like keys
rattling (no
its not my keys hanging off the ignition) that occurs on a bumpy road.
He said
to drop it off for a day because rattles can be difficult to locate and
may require
complete disassembly of the dash. What should I do? I dont want these
guys tearing
apart the interior of my new truck but the rattle is driving me nuts. I
guess I could
just turn up the volume on the radio and solve both problems.

Bob