Re: aftermark fenders

From: superskunk@mindspring.com
Date: Mon Jun 14 1999 - 18:01:06 EDT

    I just got done getting some parts out of a totalled 98 and 99 Dakota
for my Dakota at a local salvage yard. Yes there is a difference between
a Junk yard and a Salvage yard. The owner is a friend of mine and owns 4
yards. He buys vehicles to part out, and some vehicles that are wrecked,
to sell, and will add in the parts to fix it. If the insurance company
totals a vehicle, and it takes more than 3 major components to fix it and
make it road worthy, you cannot get a clear title on it, therfore the
vehicle beocmes a parts vehicle. Check with a local "yard" and see if
they have any Dakota's. Usually, if one side of the front end is tore
up, you can get the other fender. If the front end is not totalled, they
may not part with the fender you need because the front clip is worth
more than parting it out. Since I worked at a salvage yard years ago, I
can tell you that you would be really surprised how many body shops, to
include dealerships, use parts from salvage yards.
    I also know that some "yards" order fenders from a company, can't
remember the name, to fill their orders. Call and ask if they use a
certain company to order from. Most the time the Fenders are solid black
in color and don't come with any trim parts.

Mel