New 1/4 mile times with IAT "trick" and Ram-air update.

From: Mark Kuzia (flyboy01@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Jun 16 1999 - 22:06:00 EDT

Hey everyone,

I was at Milan today and did some more testing. I made a 2 runs and
baselined the Dak at:

Run #1
60ft= 2.321
1/4 = 15.417
mph= 89.81

Run #2
60ft= 2.346
1/4 =15.403
mph= 89.80

Next I replaced my 10" air cleaner and K&N with my old stock air-cleaner
with the square K&N and a ram-air tube ducted to the grill. I made one more
run:

Run #3
60ft= 2.257
1/4 = 15.322
mph= 89.66
(The mph would have been higher but I shifted 3-4 shift 500rpm's too early)

Next I decided to hook up a potentiometer to the IAT wires (set at about 2K
ohms) and made another run:

Run #4
60ft= 2.213
1/4 = 15.199
mph= 90.71

Now for the last pair of runs, I removed the K&N from the box and ran
without a filter:

Run #5
60ft= 2.283
1/4 = 15.211
mph= 90.91

Run #6
60ft= 2.318
1/4 = 15.284
mph= 90.75
(Spun the tires bad off the line)

As you can see, unfortunately, I found that the 10" round did not perform as
well as the stock setup with a 3" ram duct. I was a little disappointed, I
am definately going to work on some other improvements to the ram-air
system. I plan on installing a 4" duct to the fog light opening for my next
trip to the track. I also plan to clean up the ribs inside the box to reduce
turbulence and install a smoother plastic tube to the air hat. The air hat
will also get a cleanup by removing the metal "spider" inside it. I had
built a large square 12" x 12" sheet metal box with a 4" duct once before
but scrapped it due to too much heat, I believe that plastic works better
underhood.

The IAT trick does work on my truck. Both times I have tried it, I gained
about .10 to .15 sec and .7 to 1.0 mph. I have never used this on the
street, and I don't plan to.

I will try to use the same trick on the coolant sensor next time out.

See ya later,
Mark Kuzia