Edelbrock Shocks (too long)

From: Chuck and/or Loreen (clrobbins@home.com)
Date: Fri Jun 18 1999 - 13:12:21 EDT

    Well, I finally had enough of the stock shocks and replaced them with
the Edelbrock
Performer IAS shocks. The reviews I've seen were mixed as well as various
opinions
here in DML, but I decided to give them a shot.
    Installation wasn't hassle free by any means. The rear shocks went on
fairly easliy.
Be sure to drop the spare tire. It gives you enough room to work comfortably
under the
truck. The front shocks were another story. Edelbrock drilled the lower
mount holes too
far apart. The holes needed to be elongenated (sp?) by app. 3/16 of an inch.
A sharp
drill bit and patience took care of that problem. The other problem that the
front shocks had
was the metal mounting bracket was too long. One side of the bracket came in
contact
with the coil spring pocket. A slight grinding took care of that problem.
Other than that,
the shocks went on relatively easy. Oh, the hole where the front shocks
slide through is too
small for the shock and boot to slide through together. Push the boot all
the way down
and then slide it back up after jamming it through the hole.
    I've only put about ten miles on the shocks so far, but the roads
consisted of smooth
interstate, pot-holed state park roads and the infamous washboard bumps. The
washboard bumps and potholes are pratically nonexistent now ... whether at
cruising
speed, acceleration or deceleration. The smooth highway feels about the
same. My Dak
sits about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch higher all the way around and the steering
feels stiffer.
Body roll under normal driving conditions is completely gone. Bumpsteer is
still present,
but very dimished. I still have to put the shocks through more "tests" which
won't be hard to
do considering Rhode Island is home to the country's worst roads.
    Well, sorry this is so long. I just wanted to tell you all my latest
endevour. Also, Edelbrock
has a $27 rebate if you buy 4 shocks. That and their money back garauntee
helped make
up my mind as well. No, I'm not affiliated with Edelbrock ... just a (so
far) satisfied customer.
Take care.

Chuck in Cranston, RI
'99 Intense Blue Dak Sport, 2wd RC 3.9L 5 spd
Sport Plus Group, Factory molded running boards
10" Edelbrock Elite air cleaner, 10 x 2.75 K&N air filter
Homemade ram air, 180 Stant stat, Blaster air horns
 V-Tech marker masks & taillight covers, Edelbrock Performer Shocks
DML digest mode