Re: towing with my R/T and got 'check engine' light

From: HEMI@charter.net
Date: Mon Jun 21 1999 - 09:27:29 EDT

What is the elevation of the place where the light came on ?

I would make a best guess of saying it got a little lean maybe ?

Unhook the battery and leave it off for at least ten minutes or so and then
make sure you turn the key to bleed and possible residual power stored
anywhere .

Hook it back upo and see if the light is still on , if it is , try driving
the truck another 50-100 miles and see if it goes away after a good "cycle" .

At 11:32 PM 6/20/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>I towed my car with the R/T to Buttonwillow (2 hrs away) yesterday. Drove
>north from LA on I-5 over the 'grapevine' which is about 4000 ft in
>elevation. The R/T pulled like a champ. Went up the mountains at a constant
>70mph at 3000rpm with O/D turned off. On a straight and level road it didn't
>even feel like I'm hooked up to anything.
>
>On the way home the pass over the mountains is a long 10 mile stretch of 7%
>grade. We averaged about 60mph with O/D off. Near the top the engine light
>came on. The truck felt completely normal and performed no different.
>
>Now the 'check engine' light won't come off. Is there a way to get the scan
>codes without taking it to the dealer? I'm thinking about resetting the
>computer and see if the light would reappear before taking it in.
>

>AKM
>
>'98 Dakota R/T (JBA, Transgo)
>'89 Mustang GT (347, Vortech S-trim (intercooled), Griggs GR-40, etc.)

Jack Hilton III

Black 1998 Dodge Dakota R/T Club Cab

Charter Pipeline......the Next Wave.....

HEMI@charter.net

http://webpages.charter.net/hemi/jbd1.html