Re: towing with my R/T and got 'check engine' light

From: Alan Short (ashort@flash.net)
Date: Mon Jun 21 1999 - 10:49:56 EDT

AKM wrote:

> I towed my car with the R/T to Buttonwillow (2 hrs away) yesterday. Drove
> north from LA on I-5 over the 'grapevine' which is about 4000 ft in
> elevation. The R/T pulled like a champ. Went up the mountains at a constant
> 70mph at 3000rpm with O/D turned off. On a straight and level road it didn't
> even feel like I'm hooked up to anything.
>
> On the way home the pass over the mountains is a long 10 mile stretch of 7%
> grade. We averaged about 60mph with O/D off. Near the top the engine light
> came on. The truck felt completely normal and performed no different.
>
> Now the 'check engine' light won't come off. Is there a way to get the scan
> codes without taking it to the dealer? I'm thinking about resetting the
> computer and see if the light would reappear before taking it in.
>
> AKM

I'm completely guessing here, maybe it thought is was in a "low fuel"
situation due to the grade, load, elevation and duration of the climb.
Pull the cable and see if it resets, recently I ran out of gas and the
check engine light wouldn't turn off. I had to reset it.
I think if there has been no performance problems associated with the
c.e. light, you should be OK.
If the light comes back on when you restart,.... well, you know.
                                              Alan S.