Re: getting a 4x4 Dak TRAILWORTHY

From: GrnDak4x4@aol.com
Date: Fri Jun 25 1999 - 19:56:24 EDT

<< Wow. I find it hard to believe that even with a 4 INCH lift 33's will rub!
 really think 33's are the way to go for off-road, as opposed to smaller
 tires; especially after experiencing the trails at Tellico. I wonder if the
 fenders can be cut out somewhat? Then trimmed off with a nice fender flare...
 My friends in the 4x4 club really think I should trade in the Dakota for a
 Toyota or a Jeep TJ, but dammit I love my truck too much and REALLY want to
 prove that it can be made trailworthy. Maybe I'm nuts. Probably am. Please
 help me prove them wrong!

 So about the Trailmaster lift...I have yet to see any decent PICTURES of it
 installed....! Anyone know if Trailmaster has a website or if there are
other
 web sources with a lifted Dak shown?

You have to think though, stock LT235's are about 28.5" tall and 9.5" wide
and 32's will be about 31.7-8" tall and about 11.5" wide, typically. So thats
a 3" difference in tire height, but a 2" difference also in tire width; MUCH
improved over stock. Like I said, the 32's will retain stock suspension
articluation and 33's will rub slightly. Also, not sure on your year Dak, but
on my 93 the wheel well opening with the factory flares is about 32" across,
so fitting 33's might be more of a prob. Like Bernd said, if your really want
33's, just get a body lify ontop of the suspension lift. I have TrailMaster's
catalog and they show a Dak 4x4 CC with the 4" lift and 32's, and trust me on
this, it is impressive. About 3-4 years ago a 4WD magazine did a write up on
this lift kit and they put 32's on their Dak, to retain the straightness of
the sheetmetal! Also, for our 4x4 Daks, 3.9(3.91) gears are the tallest you
can get in in the stock diffs. Taller tires need numerically higher gears,
and 4.10's would be great, but they just dont make em. So going from LT235's
with 3.55 gears to 32's with 3.9 gears, some power will be lost, but only
about 100-200 rpms at 55 mph.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6