New V6 Owner - Kinda long

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Sun Jun 27 1999 - 20:00:48 EDT

The Gen-II's are available but yes you are right, they're not easy to
find....yet. In the mean time, Quick-D makes a good intake system
(http://www.quickd.com) for about $100 less than the K&N setup.

For ease of explanation, the modifications that I found to improve the
performance (and in order) are as follows:

(1) Intake System
(2) Exhaust (Cat-Back or just the muffler - Flowmaster, Borla, MagnaFLow)
(3) A good set of low-resistance wires (MSD, Magnecore, Splitfire)
(4) MSD Ignition (MSD-6)
(5) A good set of Sparkplugs (Splitfire worked best for me...) - This goes
along with #4
(6) Electric Fan Conversion (Not required but helped out for an extra .5
mpg)
(7) ASP Crank Pulley (Don't bother with the alternator pulley)
(8) Modified Throttle Body (Magnum Performance, F&B, or QuickD...your choice
for price)

The throttle body could be put at #2 since it created a significant,
noticeable gain in acceleration and mpg (+1 - +1.5mpg). With the throttle
body, you'll find several different opinions on what works and what the cost
could be...all I can say is that make your own decision on what you feel is
appropriate for the cost. (These can range from $90 - $1000.) Out of all
of them, one has a patent with a higher price, and the other two have a good
design with a lower price. (Not to offend anyone here, but the patent sold
me on my personal decision....this may vary from person to person.)

Here's the links to the three suppliers:

Magnum Performance : http://www.fastdodge.com
F&B (Frank and Bruce): http://members.aol.com/rdperform/auto/tbimod.html
Quick-D: http://www.quickd.com

Have fun with the mods, but be prepared to spend anywhere from $700 - $1200
for the above listed modifications. (This does not include suspension mods
which also can range from $150 - $1200.)

Bernd D. Ratsch
Pflugerville, TX
'97 Dakota SLT/CC (V6)
bernd@texas.net
http://lonestar.texas.net/~bernd/Dakota.htm
ICQ#: 39320084

Subject: Re: DML: CB's - Reach out and touch someone - NOW New V6 Owner

Mainly stuff to help me keep the speed up on those long uphill pulls, and
anything to improve fuel economy. I would like to install the K&N FIPK, but
judging from the e-mails I have seen they are not easy to get ahold of.
   thanks
   Gardner