RE: 4X4 Question

From: Jason Bleazard (jbleazard@home.com)
Date: Tue Jun 29 1999 - 07:02:14 EDT

No, it's not okay to go the entire summer without putting it into 4 wheel
drive. It's like having a convertible and never lowering the top, what's
the point. You must find dirt roads, trails and any other assorted
off-pavement travel you can and enjoy your truck to its fullest potential.
:-)

Seriously, I wouldn't use 4 wheel drive just in the rain. I've never found
that the tires slide easily enough with just a bit of water on the pavement.
Gravel or dirt are better.

BTW, don't get trapped thinking that 4x4 makes you invincible in snow. It
does help keep you from getting stuck, but it doesn't help a damned bit with
stopping, and only a bit with cornering. IMHO, the best snow vehicle is a
Subaru. I love both of our 4x4 Daks, but I definitely didn't get them for
snow. Just be careful out there.

Jason Bleazard http://www.bleazard.net Toronto, Ontario
current: '95 Dakota Sport white 4x4 Reg. Cab V6/3.9L/5spd
current: '98 Dakota Sport black 4x4 Club Cab V8/5.2L/Auto
RIP: '95 Dakota Sport black 4x2 Club Cab V6/3.9L/Auto