Re: New V*s and six-speed tranny

From: Bob King (k85go76@erols.com)
Date: Wed Jun 30 1999 - 19:30:48 EDT

OK, Better late than never. But give me a call when they decide to put the
six speed in a truck with a gasoline engine. Ford has had their OHC - V10
out for almost 2 years now. I like when ChryCo (now DC) leads instead of
bringing up the rear. They still have to compete with that big Toyota Truck
with the detuned Lexus engine and the blown Ford Lightning. They aren't
dazzling me with innovation. Instead of pouring development money into the
Plymouth Prowler (plymouth may soon be a defunct name..by the way) which
probably sells less than 8,000 units, why not put that into a DOHC V-8 and
six speed tranny for gas vehicles??? How about stepping up the development
of aftermarket (MP) pieces for enthusiasts (can you relate?). Quite frankly
the bucks would also be better spent making a "GT" version of the Chrysler
300M with a pumped up engine output (maybe 330 horse or so) and some fatter
wheels/tires, fender flares and a little less exterior chrome. This could
be done with relatively small capital outlay (no reinventing the wheel
here). Do you think BMW is full of it when they offer a luxo sedan or sport
coupe with a manual 5 or 6 speed? They appeal to those people who really
appreciate this stuff (and can pay for it). Bet DC would sell alot more
"souped" 6 speed ( and auto)300Ms in a year than they would Prowlers in 3 or
4 years. A lot of marks are being missed here is what I'm trying to point
out. Not to take anything away from their accomplishments, but I think
they've kind of lost sight of priorities in the performance end of the
spectrum. Any comments from the group here?
-Bob