KB Superchargers (observed performance)

From: David Rench (renchd@krause.com)
Date: Thu Jul 01 1999 - 09:23:11 EDT

Since this topic came up again and someone has alluded to my post a month or
so ago, I'd thought I revisit my observations.

My local track has a 1999 CC R/T equipped with a KB Supercharger. The truck
is running 275/60 Drag Radials, a traction bar setup (looks like the
Calvert Racing one), has headers, the optimizer system and a boost retard
system of unknown origin. That's what I have seen. Over the course of two
weekends(with good racing conditions), the best pass I've seen this truck
make was in the 14.3 at around 95 mph range. The system looks well
engineered, but the performance was a little off what I expected. I don't
know what the truck ran without the charger or if he even ran it before
supercharging it. The owner seems to be relatively sharp and apparently
works at a new car dealership and has a nine second street driven BB Camaro
among his other vehicles, so I can't chalk this up to an uneducated owner.
I believe he was running 6 psi of boost and was talking about trying a
little more. He wants 13's bad.

I haven't been to the track in several weeks, so for all I know he's in the
13's now and my perception is wrong, but based on what I saw I wouldn't
spend the big $$ on a KB system is you're out for hot 1/4 times as I don't
see where they are any better than the competitors. Theoretically they
should be better on the street (more low end power), but I'd want to have it
proven to me.

Dave Rench
1997 RC Sport 2WD (with the "little" 318)