Re: Widest STREET tire on 15X7 / Dakota Handling

From: Gary Pinkley (gapinkley@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Jul 05 1999 - 03:57:19 EDT

At Hotchkis Performance, we've used quite a range of tires in a lot of our
testing. One interesting thing we've found is really short sidewall tires
actually handle worse on most trucks and SUV's for street performance.
Strangely, a little taller tire gives a little compliance and makes the
overall driveability better. On bumpy surfaces, shorter performance tires
get a little jittery. They produce a lot of grip but tend to be very
unforgiving with the weight of most trucks. For racing, nothing beats a
great performance tire. I run BFG G-force T/A 275-40/17's on the auto-cross
track and they stick like glue. I've tried these on the street and I don't
get much improvement in rough road handling, but I do get a lot more
harshness. On the street, I run BFG Comp T/A ZR4 255-50/17's and I love
them.
-Gary Pinkley