RE: mods anybody- Air intake

From: Kevin Hoegen (hoegen@kersur.net)
Date: Sun Jul 11 1999 - 13:50:40 EDT

        I've done some research within the past 4 weeks and this is what I
found/concluded:

        Keep an eye on the DML chat, we are always talkin about air intake
modifications (you can also see the DML archives for past discussion). I'=
m a
new Dak owner myself, so after spending all that $$, I didnt want to spen
alot on my first mod. I was told the easiest, cheapest mod which will
increase mileage and performance is to upgrade your air intake. The stock
box, with the paper filter is not very efficient at getting alot of air t=
the ThrottleBody. Here's some links with examples of the more common mods
you can get....check the prices!!!
        I'm making a homemade Quick-D setup using ABS plastic instead of the
Stainless steel pipe you see in the pics. One complaint about the Qick-D
type setups is that the pipe gets heatsinked, in effect sending hot air i=
nto
the intake instead of cooler air(cooler air is what you want for even bet=
ter
performance). Although it must be said that whatever you have under the h=
ood
will heat up, but as soon as you get airflow (from the vehicle moving)it
would be nice to have tubing which cools down quicker - thats why I chose
ABS plastic.
        In a nutshell, the more airflow the better performance, anywhere from 5%=
15% increase in performance depending on setup. Secondary is wether that =
air
is cool. A recent test done by a reputable automag (forgot the name), tes=
ted
airflow against coolairflow and found that cool air added about 1% more i=
performance...nominal, but its still more.

Here's the links: Note my information is based on options for the 99 V6

FABM set-up. Cheap and simple. Ya get more airflow (which is the primary
reason for increased performance and MPG), but its warmer air. The 14" wo=
uld
be difficult if not impossible to put in a 99 V6:

http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/WWW/DAKOTA/dakota.html This is the =
DML
homepage link, look in the modification section.(can't seem to open the D=
ML
homepage today??

Quick-D setup. ~$100 more than the FABM set-up. You get MORE AIRFLOW WITH=
6" K&N CONE FILTER than the 10" open element K&N listed in the FABM (got
this info from K&N directly) - plus the air is cooler:

http://www.quickd.com/