Re: air filters

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 13 1999 - 00:58:08 EDT

At 12:40 AM 7/13/99 , you wrote:
>"Ashton, Rick" <RGASHTON@nettally.com> wrote:
>>damn! i seriously hope somebody does that so they could share the
>experience with
>>us. hey it might just work and if it does, i might think again about
>really doing
>>it!
>
>I'd never attempt it myself, but it would be fun to read someone
>else's experience with trying this. When you think about it, a
>supercharger drags power from the engine, but it more than compensates
>with the forced air. Isn't it possible the same thing could happen
>with the A/C? Sure, the amount of forced air isn't that much, but it
>would be *cold* air. I think the chance of success would be greatest
>with the 5.9L engine, as it's the least affected by the compressor
>running.

  I have considered doing something similar to this... However, instead of
making the engine turn the A/C compressor, you'd use an electric motor
(toss an extra battery or two in the bed if you have to...) That would
give you all the benefits of the cold air with none of the power draw. (If
you used a battery or two in the bed, you wouldn't even have any current
draw.) I feel this would work and could give you some nice power benefits.
 Unfortunately, it'd only be useable on the street; you can't run the A/C
at the track due to the condensation dripping on the surface. (If you can
come up with a foolproof method of storing the condensation in some sort of
overflow bottle, then perhaps...)

                                               -Jon-