Re: Lift Kits

From: james owens (jimga98@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jul 13 1999 - 21:58:51 EDT

snip>> I would like to know how a Tuff Country lift compares to the
otherssuch> as
> Rancho, Trailmaster, Skyjacker, Dick Cepek, Pro Comp, SuperLift,
etc.> > Jason <snip

I have been following the progress of the Tuff country and Rancho lift
kits via a friend who works in the field, magazine articles and calls
to the company. The main differences leave me to believe that if you
are only concerned with hight get the T.C. lift. the rancho kit is
marketed as a 3" lift to be able to be legal in more states. (check
with your local hwy patrol on this) it is a 3" lift in the rear but a
net gain of 4" up front. this levels out the rake on the dak. The T.C
kit is less $, around $1200 the Rancho is going to set you back about
$200 more. The Rancho kit preserves the original geometry of the truck.
Drive line angles are factory specs and factory alignment numbers are
used. I happen to think this is important so some yahoo is not guessing
at what looks good to him while chewing up expensive rubber if he
"guesses" wrong. 33" tires will fit easily under both kits ,the rancho
kit as well as the T.C. I know the engineers at tenneco (Rancho) have
re-engineered this kit 3 times to get it perfect. Tenneco is a multi
billion dollar company trades on the NYSE ticker symbol TEN at least
you have a better chance of them being around years down the road.
Anyway I have signed up to be the rancho guinea pig in the southeast
with a local well known 4x4 shop in return for a break on the cost of
the kit i have to bring the truck back several times to be checked by
the shop for Rancho's quality control and long term monitoring of the
kit and it's effects on the truck. ( iwonder if T.C. cares this much?)
98 sport 3.9 5 speed CC 4x4 31x10.5 tirs on the stock powder coated
wheels