Re: Dealer Excuses

From: kwjohn@ais.net
Date: Wed Jul 14 1999 - 00:43:27 EDT

Yeah, well, I just got my Dak back from the dealer as well, and
-without- the repairs it needs! I have a V6, and the ONLY mod (at this
point) is a FABM and a stereo. I've been hearing a rattling sound, and
they said that the catalytic converter has "broken baffles and is
partially restricted". They claimed it was due to "modifications to the
vehicle", citing the intake system (and air filter?!?) and saying that
the less restrictive intake caused undue pressure on the exhaust
system. They want to charge $390 for parts and 2.5hrs shop time (@
$45/hr=$112) to replace the cat. I said, you gotta be kidding!

To top it off, I had them do work in January to replace a front
suspension component, and have had a "dragging" sound from the front end
intermittently ever since. They -supposedly- did the alignment when
they put the front end back together. When I asked them to check the
noise, they said that it was due to the alignment being out of whack,
and that I needed a new alignment job (@ $70) and TWO FRONT TIRES (@
$290 installed!). Never mind that they caused the problem in the first
place.

So, I've called the regional manager's office, and we'll see if anything
happens. Being that I have 39K miles (on a 36K warranty) I think the
dealer saw a chance to milk some $$$ from an unsuspecting dupe. I'll do
that stuff myself. All I can say is, if you are in the Chicago-land
area and need service, stay away from Torco Dodge in St. Charles.
Elmhurst and Crystal Lake are recommended alternates.

On a positive note, I am now in the market for a high-flow catalytic
converter. :-) Has anyone tried the performance cats from Dynomax or
the one listed in Summit's catalog (unknown brand)?

Kurt