RE: Re: Lift Kits

From: McKinney, John R. MHX (McKinJr@hpd.abbott.com)
Date: Wed Jul 14 1999 - 10:39:37 EDT

I have no problem with Rancho at all (I own 2 kits). It's just not going to
work in my application. I know you said that it is 4" in front and 3" in
the rear, but Petersons Off road states (about the Rancho kit) "The
companies kit supplies 3" of lift in the front and 2" in the rear." It also
states that "the stock tires and wheels can be retained, but P265 tires will
also fit." From what I can find P265 equals about 32". I read in one other
article where they claim 33" tire will fit, but if their lift is only 3",
they aint gunna fit! Especially when you get the wheels turned and and
suspension flexing with 12.5" wide tires. I rolled one of my 33's next to
it and I just can't see it happening without 4" or 5" minimum. I use mine
off road and don't want ANY rubbing.

In that same issue, they state the following about the Tuff Country kit "All
angles have been taken into consideration, and once the system is installed,
perfect factory alignment specifications are obtainable." and ".....so
there's no driveshaft clearance problem....." and "No driveshaft
modifications are required, front or rear". Just something to think about.
They have also updated their system with a new design on some components,
Tony found that out!. I had some reservations about Tuff Country too. I
don't have any experience with them personally, but I have friends in Utah,
where they are based and many, many people use them locally and on Moab.
The came highly recomended locally.

One more thing, TC will also have 2 skid plates available specifically for
our trucks to protect the T-bar brackets and front lowered cross member
brackets which will save me from having to fab them up!

Just some things to think about.

John McKinney
98 4X4 V8
Los Banos, CA