Re: cold air rig

From: RCPL-VAN CNIWR (RCPL-VAN_CNIWR@van.reid-crowther.com)
Date: Wed Jul 14 1999 - 12:01:05 EDT

     I really like that dry ice idea. I've been toying around with a cold
     air pipe idea ever since I had my Stang. I thought about coiling up
     copper or aluminum tube inside the air tube and have ice water pumped
     through it, requiring a water tank and pump. But, to have effective
     cooling of the air, a high surface area is needed, hence the use of
     radiator-sytle cores in intercoolers. The air going through the air
     intake tube is very high velocity. Because I am a mechanical engineer
     who designs HVAC systems for buildings, I got this nifty "Duculator"
     that gives velocity and CFM at a given pipe diameter and static
     pressure loss. For a 3" dia. tube, 600 cfm has a velocity of 12000
     feet per minute!! To give you a reference, most air passing through a
     duct in your office has a velocity of around 600-1000 fpm. So, this
     air in the intake tube is going 2.4 miles a minute or 144 mph! This
     is a concern to the surface area of the cold surface because fast
     moving air over a cold surface does not transfer as much heat as does
     slower moving air. This is because the moisture doesn't have enough
     time to condense out of the air (latent cooling). When air is cooled,
     moisture condenses out, lowering humidity. If you can't get the
     moisture out, it's not going to be as cool. Soooo, I think the dry ice
     may work on the Quick D, because it can literally freeze the tube and
     you have a higher temperature differential, which is always better for
     cooling. Zig-zagging an a/c coil in the airbox won't do much because
     they isn't enough surface area. If the air went through a dense rad
     core, it would work better.

     I remeber a few years back, a company made an air tube for 5.0 Stangs
     that hooked up to your a/c lines. Not sure if there was anything
     inside the tube, but it used the freon to cool the tube. Normally
     aspirated applications got a claimed hp increase of 12. Supercharged
     were higher, but that is obvious because your're increasing the volume
     of air alot. Man, too much typing!

     Chad Niwranski
     99 CC Black/agate
     Abbotsford, BC