Yet another Carlisle post :-)

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 15 1999 - 01:45:44 EDT

  Sorry its taken me so long to get around to this. :-)

  Carlisle was a fun time! As Bob said, getting to meet some more DML'ers
face to face definitely helped to make it more worthwhile. Its still sort've
a blur to me. Next time, I'll be going down for 2 days instead of 1. All
that driving and sleep deprivation took its toll. A hotel bed never felt
so comfortable! :-) (Hey Boog; yeah, you do snore a little bit, but you
would have had to do a lot worse than that to keep me awake that night!) :-)

   It was great to see all those Daks parked together, and the tent is
a must-have!! Thanks VERY much to Shane for putting that together!! I
dunno if we all would have survived without it. :-) One thing that was
great was getting the opportunity to put my Dak on a dyno. I've never
even seen one before (except for pictures), so I paid the $75, just so I
could stop guessing. I was a little dissapointed with the results (I thought
I had 270 rwhp due to a misinterpretation of the 1/4 mile speed+ET->HP
formula) but I guess all that matters is the time it turns at the track. :-)

  Ended up being 235 hp at about 5,000 rpm, and 293 lb-ft at somewhere around
2100 rpm. The dyno guy said most stock Dakotas he's dynod come in at around
170hp, so I guess I've added about 65 hp. Its still not enough though; I'll
have to keep adding those go-fast parts. :-)

   One thing that seems strange to me is the shape of the hp and torque
curves; if you can call 'em curves... HP just goes up in a straight
line and just starts to peak and go over the top of the hill where
I had the guy shut it down (around 5300rpm). The torque just sort've
goes straight across; goes up a little, drops down a little, and then
just goes straight across the page. Not much of a curve to either of 'em.
(Anyone know if that's good or bad?)

  Here's a scan of the printout they gave me:

stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu/dyno001.jpg">http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/www/dakota/attachments/stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu/dyno001.jpg

(If that doesn't work, you can get it from the DML home page -> Attachments
-> stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu -> dyno001.jpg

  By the way, on the trip down and back, I got just over 20mpg! We did
70mph most of the time, dropping down to about 60mph every now and again.
Maybe the single plane intake and the pullies? Whatever it is, I'll
take it! :-)

   Carlisle was great! This definitely gets a spot on the ol' annual
event calendar. Highly recommended. Lets see how many DML'ers we
can get next year! :-)

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.55@94.14), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |