Re: intake mods

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@wcom.com)
Date: Thu Jul 15 1999 - 15:13:28 EDT

I am not aware of any method to allow welding of stainless steel to
aluminum... ;-)

I guess we're not picturing the same thing... with the intake off, the
'bathtub' gasket covers the whole lifter valley... it is made of thin
stamped steel... the stock Magnum intake is completely open on the bottom,
exposed to this bathtub gasket that is heated by oil spashing off the cam...
What I have heard of being done is to seal up the bottom of the intake so
there's a layer of air between the bottom of the intake and the bathtub
gasket... the bathtub gasket then acts like a heat shield... the extra
benefit is that the stock design is prone to vacuum leaks.. sealing the
bottom of the intake solves that problem.

and while the intake's off, but before you seal it up, fill up some of the
phlenum volume of the intake by welding in some filler... and shorten the
runners slightly... a Mopar rag had a whole write up on this intake mod...
and I thought F&B were talking about looking into doing this... once they're
caught up on TB's....

Gary Shook