Re: Stealth Fuel Filter Plus

From: Jeff Durling (durling@ibm.net)
Date: Thu Jul 15 1999 - 22:06:33 EDT

For some info on the fuel filter thing (yes my '96 only has the screen) here is
what I learned from nitsubishi on my '93 mighty max when I asked them a
somewhat similar question. That truck, the twin dodge d-50, do have a fuel
filter but the owner manuel says it only has to be replaced at the 90K mark.
The reason: due to the breakdown of the filter material, NOT the fuel clogging
it. I thought it was a bunch of crap but when I went ahead and changed it at
50K it wasn't dirty at all.

 On my truck I don't run regular gas, partly for performance reasons, but also
because they usually don't put as much, if any, detergent in the lower grade
gas. Used to work for a gasoline company and asked questions. Another note for
ya....all gases are the same until they are shipped to the gas station. WHen
the truck fills up they select which grade of gas they are putting in which
tank and the detergent that corresponds to that grade is poured in. Simply, the
detergnet they add is all that makes the different octane. I worked for Hess
who also supplies alot of gas for Mobil, Chevron and Amoco.

Sorry for such a long post.

Jeff Durling
'96 RC Sport