Re: Life of a water pump?

From: Antonio S. Magallenez (amagalla@totacc.com)
Date: Fri Jul 16 1999 - 18:17:29 EDT

Travis:

>1. Is there a way I can find out if I've a blown seal/gasket in my water
>pump?
Change the oil in the truck. If you have a leaking seal/gasket, the oil
will look like chocolate milk. Very easy to tell.

>2. What is the life expectantcy of a water pump?
One of the first signs of a bad water pump is water leaking from the weep
hole. Some other signs are steam comming off you engine (even in dry
weather), and spray marks on the inside of you hood. You also want to check
you heater hoses.

>3. How hard is it to replace the pump?
>
>I have a '97 4x4 V8 5spd with ~ 75k miles.
>
>Thanx!
>
>-Travis

Good luck
Tony