Re: Re: Online Service Manuals

From: kwjohn@ais.net
Date: Sat Jul 17 1999 - 20:04:35 EDT

All,

Careful about how much you pursue this one. Those manuals are
trademarked publications, and unless you have approval from the vendor,
you can be prosecuted for unlawful redistribution. Companies (including
mine) are getting more savvy to things like this, and are taking it to
court MUCH more often than you'd expect. For example, Lucent
Technologies took 213 cases to court last year for internet-based
offenses. That doesn't count company-to-company suits and such.
(translation: most of the "defendents" were individuals)

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see info like this on the 'Net, but I'm
not willing to pay that kind of price to do so.

Kurt