Re: 2,000 lb R/T towing capacity printed on rear of truck!

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@wcom.com)
Date: Mon Jul 19 1999 - 12:29:10 EDT

Actually, the factory bumper on the Rams is rated @ 5000 Lbs (class III)..
that's what's written on the bumber of my truck.. but the towing capacity is
7200 Lbs, if I recall correctly... so you need a class IV hitch to tow full
capacity.. if you look under my bumper, it looks like a class III hitch..
just built into the bumper. I've towed a '96 Ram 1500 CC 2wd 5.2L ST with
my '98 Ram 1500 QC 4wd 5.9L Sport... no problems... I've also pulled a 34'
motorhome out of the mud on my property... broke a 15,000# tow strap with
the ball... (but I think I cut it on the motorhome's frame) the 20,000#
strap held with no problems... I couldn't get enough traction to pull him
out from a standing start (even 4Lo just spun 3 tires- sometimes all 4!) so
I had to get some slack, and hit the end of the strap @ 10-15mph in 4Lo...
moved about 18" each time until we got him out of the rut...