Re: New 4x4 Durango. Let the questions begin!

From: Sams email (srp@home.com)
Date: Sat Jul 24 1999 - 02:02:44 EDT

Ryan, just took my wife's new Sport 4x4 Dakota (our 5th dakota now),
and 4x4 HI in sand will do wonders. Do you have the optional 242 transfer
case with 4 FT (Full time)??? We do on our Dakota, and I can pop between
2HI and 4FT at any speed up to 50 mph... I used both 4FT (uses the transfer
case as a limited slip differential with 48%F/52%R split) and 4HI in the
sand here locally in San Diego (at the beach). The truck could not get
stuck.. I did get into some pretty deep sand (about as deep as your
picture) and felt the truck wallow a bit in it, but I could stop, and turn,
and get started again no problem. In instances like your picture, airing
down the tires to 15 psi (or a little lower) will help spread the foot print
of the tire, and most times get you back to hard pack.

Good luck!! I plan on a trip to Pismo sometime this fall.

Sam '99 RT & 4x4