a/c problems

From: Patrick and Kelly Engram (shetland@erols.com)
Date: Sat Jul 24 1999 - 13:31:19 EDT

"Has anyone had any problems with the A/C in their trucks? I have a 98'
w/
just over 100 KM on it and the damn evaporator on the thing went - it
was
leaking and would not put out any more cold air. The dealer said the
thing
was shot and had to be replaced. Well a $300 part and 7 hours labour
later
the thing ran me about $900 as my warranty is now expired. Needless to
say
I am not very happy at all about this bull**** the dealer told me that
this
is a rare occurrence and that this is the very first Dakota that they
have
ever had to work on. The 7 hours labour comes in when they tear out the

entire dash out of the truck to get at it. I am just curious if anyone
has
had a similar problem with theirs. Thanks."

-Actually, this is a common problem on Dakota's, and it happens all the
time. The 2nd
generation Dakota's had this problem, which got worse when it switched
to 134A refrigerant,
and the new ones are as predictable as their heater cores....
  The 7 hours is about right, what a pain in the wazoo.
Patrick