Re: Re: Out of gas and dead...

From: GrnDak4x4@aol.com
Date: Mon Jul 26 1999 - 01:08:08 EDT

<< Kyle, and others,

 Most late model vehicles with fuel injection and fuel pumps located in
 the gas tank have pumps that use the fuel for lubrication/cooling. If
 you run the tank dry, you run the risk of overheating the pump. A common
 practice with the Impala SS crowd is to fill up at 1/4 tank. That way,
 you guarantee that the pump will remain (mostly) submerged in its cooling
 bath of fuel. Some have even noted that they had burned wires in the
 tank when they went to replace them, indicating how hot things can get
 there. No danger of fire, not enough O2 to do anything, but they were
 having to replace an expensive pump.

 If you follow the rule of refueling at 1/4 tank, I bet your pumps live a
 lot longer. I do this with all our injected cars. Kind of sucks,
 though, with a full tank, the SS can go aver 400 miles. I usually stop
 at 360. Just my $0.02. >>

That is exactly what the parts guy told me when I bought pump assembly module
#3 for my Dakota; at 76,000 miles. So I religously did not let the tank go
below 1/4 empty. Well at 103,000 I had to once again drop the tank and put in
fuel assembly #4. I just think now that Carter(the OEM name pump assembly)
made an extremely poor quality pump, which is what I have always put on. I
know Carter does make good products in general, but something isnt right
here. Same goes for the frigin fuel sending unit guage. Mine has shorted out
2-3 times in 107,000 miles. Oh well, I love my truck so much I can live with
it, as long as it never leaves me stranded 75+ miles in the woods like it did
the 2nd time it went out!!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6