Re: GARY Hotchkis Shocks AVAILABILITY & Pricing

From: Gary Pinkley (gapinkley@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Jul 27 1999 - 01:18:29 EDT

On a mild lowering, the stock stroke shocks are still functional. A
monotube shock such as the Bilstein doesn't mind running towards one end of
the stroke. A cheaper, twin tube shock actually has the gas and the oil in
the same chamber. When you run a twin tube towards the compressed side of
the travel, they have a tendancy to suck in bubbles of gas. This creates
moments of little-or-no damping. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if
you can use your stock shocks on the front, regardless how they perform, you
can use the Bilsteins. On the rear, I use a slighly shorter-than-stock
shock so persons running a 5" drop can still use our shocks. If you
compress our suspension till our bump stop is squished, the stock package
shocks will go real close to the max compression, which isn't as desireable
as a shorter shock. Anyone running a C-section will need the shorter shock.
-Gary