chevy idiot = brake problems (help me/sorta long)

From: Michael Meyerhoff (mmeye@umr.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 02 1999 - 22:17:23 EDT

On my way to work this morning a fullsize Chevy came off an onramp, across
the slowlane and right into the fastlane (where I happened to be at the
time). He did this pretty fast, I hit my brakes as hard as I could
without locking it up totally and ended up driving down the medium (braking
in grass at 65 mph is fun... really), but at least we didn't hit.

I could smell a bad smell part burnt rubber part something else. Driving
home i noticed a noise at low speed (<35 mph) that changes with speed and
has different pitches if your braking. Braking to a stop feels very rough
and had a low rumble sound. At around 25mph there is a sorta intermediate
mid-pitch scraping noise.

I'm thinking this is a warped rotor, anybody want to second that or have
any ideas??

I'm looking at new rotors and pads up front, new pads in back; does anybody
have good brands, deals, or stay away from stories??

thanks,

mm
   // | | \\ Mike Meyerhoff
{ }|| | | ||{ } mmeye@umr.edu