RE: F&B TB pics???

From: Holloway,Frank T (Frank.T.Holloway@KP.ORG)
Date: Wed Aug 04 1999 - 14:16:37 EDT

Bernd,
Many reasons for the long lag times, finding used cores, dyno time.
Initially, we had just planned on doing this for the DML members, but it has
turned into something far greater than we had ever planned on. We have
worked through CARB approval on the Stage I's. For the DML members, the
price on a used exchange still remains at $90.00, but this price is
predicated on a used core supply which are in extremely short supply. For
our customers and the vendors we are working with (non DML), we only deal
with new TB's (no exchange). We needed to work through the problems
associated with the throttle shafts. Initially we started out with 303
Stainless for the shafts, the 303 is free machining but it tends to move
around. We have since switched to 17-4 PH Stainless (more stable and a lot
less prone to bending). A heck of a lot of testing and dyno work on these.
We needed to put together the tooling to machine the parts so that the price
could be low and the work repeatable. We needed to test the TB's with
associated aftermarket products that are currently available (part of the
CARB approval process). We needed to do the flow bench work, literally
hundreds of hours to accomplish all of this. I can tell you that it has been
an interesting venture for me (a big strain on my family), but I have met
some of the most interesting people in the aftermarket parts business, no
regrets. We have done all of this without copying anyone else's work or with
the goal of just making a fast buck (heck you can't even take your truck
into a dealership and get your TB cleaned for $90.00). We have sent a lot of
these to individuals for testing to get their feedback and the feedback has
been implemented in the current generation of TB's. I hope this helps in
understanding some of the delays in getting these out.......

        Frank